Onega lake in Karelia for the first time hosted an international winter swimming competition, the 5th stage of the Winter Swimming World Cup, Open Championship of Russia and 1st Open Championship of Karelia. 273 winter swimmers from 12 countries gathered in Petrozavodsk city. 1001 winter swimmers/starts took part in the individual races, 612 men and 389 women.
In the relay races 29 teams took to the start. Note that the teams were divided into three groups according to the sum of the age of its participants: up to 150 years, 151-200 and 201 years older. According to the organizer information, this is a record number of teams for a similar level of winter swimming competitions.
Multi-medalists of the 5th stage of the Winter Swimming World Cup:
1. Scott Lautman (USA) and Nadezhda Dudina (Russia) - 8 gold medals.
3. Morgunov Alexander - 7 gold and 1 silver.
4. Chekushkin Oleg - 6 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze.
5. Dmitry Tishin 6 gold, 1 silver medal.
6. Jekaterina Busygina, Nina Yermilova, Vyacheslav Tikhonov - 6 gold medals each.
9. Vasily Teterin - 5 gold and 3 silver medals.
10. Tatyana Korobitsina, Tatyana Kozhina, Elena Savinkova, Vasiliy Simonov - 5 gold medals each.
The main organizer of the event, head of Victoria club Igor Lukin said, in spite of the fact that Karelia for the first time hosted winter swimming competitions of such a high level, I think that our city justified the high honor of holding the 5th stage of the World Cup, the Open Championship of Russia, the 1st Open Championship of Karelia. Thanks to the support and participation of the executive authorities of the Republic of Karelia, local governments and entrepreneurs, it was possible to set a high level for sports competitions and create favorable conditions for the successful work of the sign organization team events in the sports life of the city, the republic and the country.
In total, 69 clubs took part in the 5th stage of the Winter Swimming World Cup, 54 of them came from Russia and 15 from clubs in other countries. The President of the International Winter Swimming Association (IWSA), Mariia Yrjö-Koskinen, at the opening ceremony of the competition presented the Karelian club “Victoria” with a certificate and flag confirming the membership of the club in IWSA.
- It was a really great event. Your city is beautiful, and the organization team worked very well. Government support is very important, and I hope that it will continue in the future. Winter swimming is such a unique sport where people of all ages can win. Let us continue this good cooperation and see you all next year again, - said the President of the International Winter Swimming Association Mariia Yrjö-Koskinen.
The oldest competitor and Victoria club member is Anna Semenova (08/06/1925) 93 y.o. She performed in the 80+ age group. The youngest lover of winter swimming - Yaroslav Tikhonovich (11/03/2007) 12 y.o. represented the Park Pobedy club from Saint Petersburg.
During 3 days of competition winter swimmers set 48 world records and 46 Russian records. All these results were made possible thanks to the comfortable conditions that were created for the participants.
The team of the club "Victoria" won 117 medals at these competitions, including 53 gold, 36 silver and 28 bronze, and set 11 world records and 16 records of Russia.
The main prize of the competition - the Cup of Nations was awarded to the Russian team.
- The first championship of Karelia in winter swimming, the 5th final stage of the World Cup and the Open Championship of Russia were held at a very high organizational level. And most importantly - on the beautiful lake of Onego, which is the second largest lake in Europe. It is important to note the harmonious and very effective interaction of all structures of the championship, a serious attitude and support of the authorities of the Republic of Karelia. All international participants and participants from different regions of Russia - from Kaliningrad to Vladivostok - noted that the championship had become an important event in the winter swimming world. It would be great to meet again on the shores of the hospitable Lake Onega, ”said Aleksandr Jakovlev, vice president of the International Winter Swimming Association, sharing his impressions".
Photo gallery of VICTORIA club http://victoria-karelia.ru/media/5-j-etap-kubka-mira-otkrytyj-chempionat-rossii-1-j-otkrytyj-chempionat-karelii/
Results are here http://victoria-karelia.ru/finish-protocol/